- 1 cup all-purpose flour / maida
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup chilled yogurt
- oil for deep frying
Ingredients for Garnish
- 1/4 cup of roughly chopped pistachios
Ingredients for sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- To make the dough in a large bowl add in the flour, the salt and a ¼ teaspoon of soda. Stir to combine the dry ingredients. Next add in the ghee to the flour mixture. Using your fingers combine the flour and ghee to make coarse crumbs. Once you get the coarse crumbs texture, add in the yogurt. Knead just enough until all the ingredients come together.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes of resting the dough we will divide the dough into equal portions of large lemon size, making a dent in the centre with the thumb.
- Cover the dough portions with a wet cloth and allow them to rest for another 15 minutes.
- Next, preheat the oil for deep frying. Start adding a few balls at a time into the oil and fry them on medium heat. The medium heat helps the balushahi’s to cook evenly from the inside.
- Once you notice that the dough balls come floating up to the surface flip over and fry until the bottom half is darker golden brown. Remember it is important to fry them on medium heat and not high heat so it gets evenly cooked from the inside.
- Once both sides are browned well, drain and continue the same with the remaining dough portions and keep them aside.
- Now lets get the ingredients needed for the sugar syrup. In a sauce pan add in 1/4 cup of water, 1 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of cardamom powder. With heat on medium, stir the mixture well until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, add in the cardamom powder, turn the heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer until you get a single thread consistency.
- Now dip each of the fried doughs one at a time in the sugar syrup until it gets coated all around and arrange then on a platter. Continue the same with the remaining fried dough.
- Garnish the Badusha with pistachios and allow them to rest until the sugar hardens.