For Butter Naan
- 3 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- ¼ cup curd, whisked
- Salt as required
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoon melted butter/oil
- Luke warm water as required
For the topping
- 6-7 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2-3 teaspoon coriander and mint leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon butter, melted
- To begin making the Butter Garlic Naan, first sieve the flour along with the salt in a mixing bowl. Mix in the yeast and sugar.
- Add the curd, butter, garlic paste and mix well. Gradually add the water and knead it into a soft pliable dough.
- Knead for about 8-10 minutes on a flat, lightly floured surface. (Use the hook attachment for kneading, if using a stand mixer)
- Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Let the dough rest for 3-4 hours, till it doubles in size.
- Heat an iron griddle. Punch down the dough, once doubled and knead for a minute or two.
- Divide the dough into 6-7 equal portions and shape them into a ball.
- Pat or Roll out each ball to a 7-8 inch elongated, tear shape. (Keep the other dough balls covered while your roll out one.) Sprinkle some chopped garlic over the Naan and press well.
- Turn it over and brush this side with some water. Place the water brushed side on the hot iron griddle.
- Invert the griddle exposing the garlic side directly to the flame, without directly touching the flame.
- Move the griddle slowly so that the Naan cooks evenly.
- In about a minute, the Naan starts browning and you can see a few bubbles.
- Using a pair of tongs, take off the Naan from the griddle and cook the other side directly on the flame. Keep moving the naan for even cooking.
- Mix the coriander and mint with the melted butter. Brush the Garlic Naan with this herbed butter and serve immediately.