- 500 grams chicken leg pieces
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 whole dry red chillies
- 7 to 8 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Oil as required
- Salt to taste
For the masala
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 2 to 3 whole cardamoms
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin
- To begin making the Chicken Vindaloo, soak the whole chillies, garlic cloves and ginger in the white wine vinegar for about an hour, till the chillies soften. Grind to a paste in a mixer grinder.
- Make diagonal cuts on the chicken legs and smear them with the prepared chilli paste. Cover and marinate in the fridge for about an hour.
- Dry roast the spices on low flame till fragrant. Grind to a powder when cool.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil and saute mustard seeds.
- When they start popping, add onions and fry till they turn golden brown.
- At this stage, add the marinated chicken along with all the juices and liquid in the pot.
- Fry till the chicken is well coated in the masala. Add the vindaloo masala and salt, fry further for 2 minutes.
- Add one cup of water, cover and cook till chicken is cooked through and the gravy is thick. Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
- Chicken Vindaloo is perfect to be eaten with Cauliflower Thoran and roti, steamed rice or soft goan bun and makes a perfect weekend dinner.