Prime News, Karnataka, Mining, Mandya, January 25:- The Mandya district administration seized explosives and detained vehicles used for quarrying in a bid to restrict illegal activities in the wake of a blast that took place in Shivamogga last week, killing at least six people.
The residents in several parts of Mandya, particularly around Krishna Raja Sagar Reservoir, had voiced concerns about illegal quarrying in their areas. The stone-crushing units found in different parts of the district supply stones for the construction of buildings in Mandya and Mysuru.
The officials from the Mines and Geology Department along with taluk administration officials visited Baby Betta near Krishna Raja Sagar on Friday and inspected illegal quarrying sites in Nagamangala and Srirangapattana on Saturday, reports said.
District authorities said they had seized explosives in two areas of the district, in Arakere and in Bellur. Around 350 detonators were seized in Arakere while 16 gelatin sticks and 18 detonators were recovered from Bellur. District Superintendent of Police Parashurama K said that inspection of stone-crushing units will continue over the next few days.
Earlier on Saturday, Yediyurappa had promised to crack down on illegal mining in the state. “I will not allow illegal quarrying or mining for any reason. Those who want to do quarrying or mining should get a licence for it. Doing it illegally will lead to such incidents. I will direct the Deputy Commissioners to take strict measures in this direction,” he had said.
Member of Parliament (MP) of Mandya Constituency Sumalatha Ambareesh tweeted that the incident in Shivamogga was a warning to residents in Mandya. “The administration and police in Mandya have initiated action against illegal mining. I have constantly pursued efforts at curbing them and voiced my concern in Parliament also,” she tweeted.
Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai said that a meeting will be held on Monday in which the state government will discuss the issue. (MR, Inputs: Agencies)