Ingredients for the caramel
- 200 grams white sugar
- 50 ml water
Ingredients for the custard
- 200 ml whole milk
- 250 ml cream (amul packaged cream works)
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 150 C. Prepare the ramekins greased with butter.
Method For the caramel:
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and place it over medium heat. Stir continuously until the sugar melts into a liquid. Once the sugar is completely melted, turn the heat to low and allow the sugar to bubble, with occasional stirring until the color is a golden brown, thick and runny like honey. Turn off the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of water. Gently distribute the caramel a teaspoon at a time to coat the base of each one of the ramekins.
Method For the custard:
- In a large high-walled bowl; whisk all the eggs until whites and yolks are combined.
- Combine the sugar, milk and cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan and place for medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar melts and turn off the heat. Gradually beat in the whisked eggs into the milk mixture, whisking continuously as you pour. Stir in the vanilla extract and whisk well. Run the mixture through the sieve to remove any traces of lumps that got formed while combining the eggs into the milk. Pour this into the prepared caramel lined ramekins.
- Place the filled ramekins on a roasting tin/ tray filled with hot water enough to come two-thirds of the way up the dish. Place the whole thing on the centre shelf of the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes to one hour, until the custard is set in the centre. The way to rest is when you shake the ramekin gently the custard should feel firm, slightly wobbly and springy to the touch. Once done, remove the ramekins from the roasting tray and allow it to cool completely at room temperature. Once cooled cover the ramekins with a cling film and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before turning out into the platter.
- When you’re ready to serve, run a palate knife around the edges of the ramekins to loosen it around. Place the serving plate on top of the ramekin and then turn the whole thing upside-down and give it a shake.
- You will notice the delicious set Crème Caramel, Caramel Custard or Caramel Pudding is surrounded by a pool of golden caramel sauce on the platter. You can optionally serve it along with whipped cream on the top.