For the vadas
- 1/2 cup urad dal, soaked for 4 hours
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- Salt to taste
- Date and tamarind chutney as required
- Red chilli powder as required
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt
- A pinch of chaat masala
- To begin, wash and drain the urad dal.
- Grind together the urad dal, and salt in a mixer or food processor to a coarse paste.
- Add the soda to the urad dal paste and mix well till the batter is light and fluffy. Add a little water if required.
- Wet your hands and take 2 tablespoons of the batter on your palm and shape into a circle. Deep fry in hot oil on a slow flame in a deep fry pan till the Vadas are golden brown for about 10 minutes.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Next, soak the deep fried vadas in water for about 45 minutes.
- Just before serving, drain and squeeze out the excess water.
- Arrange the vadas on a serving dish and top with beaten curd.
- Garnish with chilli powder, cumin seed powder, black salt, chaat masala and serve with tamarind chutney.
- Serve Dahi Vada with Sweet & Spicy Chutney as a side dish with your meal or you can also serve it when you have sudden guests at home.