Prime News, National, Mumbai, March 15:- At least six people were killed and 31 injured after a portion of a foot-overbridge near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) in Mumbai collapsed last evening.
The incident occurred around 7:30 pm. A team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) was pressed into service to carry out rescue operations. The injured have been admitted to nearby hospitals.
The Maharashtra government has ordered a high-level probe into the accident. Talking to media, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said, he has directed civic authorities to ensure speedy relief.
Talking about the structural audit, Fadnavis said, the bridge, built in 1980, was found to be fit last year and was currently undergoing some minor repairs. He said, the inquiry panel will also investigate if the structural audit failed to detect any damage. The Chief Minister ensured that the guilty will be strictly punished.
Police said, a case has been registered against the officials of Central Railway and Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
An ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the next of kin of those killed has been announced by the state government. Rs 50,000 each will be given to those injured apart from all necessary treatment.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has condoled the loss of lives due to the accident. In a tweet, Modi said, his thoughts are with the bereaved families. He wished a speedy recovery to the injured.
The incident comes eight months after another bridge collapsed in suburban Andheri, in which five people were killed. (Inputs: Agencies, NGB)