Prime News, Nation, (New Delhi), February 27:-Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Thursday announced a number of compensation schemes for those affected and injured in the violence that flared up in parts of Northeast Delhi since Sunday.
He said the Delhi government will bear the costs of medical treatment of all those injured and being treated in private hospitals, and that orders in that regard will be issued by evening today. The Delhi government has also started sending food supplies in curfew-affected areas, he said.
The Delhi High Court today allowed the Centre’s impleadment in the PIL seeking lodging of FIRs and arrests in the northeast Delhi communal violence over the amended citizenship law. A bench of Chief Justice DN Patel and Justice C Hari Shankar granted four weeks to the Centre and the police to file their replies to the PIL seeking lodging of FIRs against alleged hate speeches by three BJP leaders, even as counsel for the petitioner Colin Gonsalves pleaded for an earlier date, saying, “10 to 12 people are dying every day”.
Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the bench that as the Centre is responsible for maintaining law and order in Delhi, it be made a party in the matter, which was allowed by the court.
At the outset, Mehta told the bench that 48 FIRs have been lodged in relation to the violence and there be no judicial intervention till normalcy is restored in the national capital. The FIRs lodged so far relate to arson, looting and deaths.
The death toll in the deadly violence that has rocked parts of Delhi for three days rose to 34 today. While a brittle quiet settled over parts of riot-hit northeast Delhi on Wednesday, violence was reported from some other places, with shops set ablaze and the body of an Intelligence Bureau (IB) staffer found in a drain in Chand Bagh.
The Delhi Police said 106 people have been arrested so far for their alleged involvement in the violence and 18 FIRs registered.
No untoward incident was reported on Wednesday and PCR calls from North East Delhi have reduced,” said Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Mandeep Singh Randhawa. The police also released two helpline numbers — 011-22829334, 22829335 — for people to reach out during distress and any information related to violence. People can also share details on helpline number 112.
Randhawa said all those miscreants who created trouble are being identified and there is CCTV footage and strong evidence.
As police conducted flag marches and security personnel spread out across the northeastern edge of the national capital in a bid to quell the violence raging since Sunday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his first reaction appealed for peace and brotherhood.
Asserting that it was important for calm to be restored at the earliest, Modi said on Twitter, “Had an extensive review on the situation prevailing in various parts of Delhi. Police and other agencies are working on the ground to ensure peace and normalcy.”
In the evening, National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval visited some riot-hit areas.
“What has happened has happened. Inshallah, there will be complete peace here,” he said as he walked through the mostly-mixed neighbourhoods and congested lanes of northeast Delhi and met locals.
Doval on Tuesday had undertaken a late-night tour with Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik and newly-appointed Special Commissioner SN Shrivastava. The latter’s appointment came in the wake of Patnaik facing flak for failing to curb the spiralling violence in the backdrop of US President Donald Trump’s visit, said sources.
Heavy presence of police and paramilitary personnel was seen in violence-hit areas, including Shiv Vihar, Gokalpur, Jaffrabad, Maujpur and Chand Bagh. People here mostly kept indoors as prohibitory orders were imposed and police personnel conducted flag marches.
One of the worst hit areas, Shiv Vihar wore a deserted look with large deployment of police and paramilitary personnel. Several shops and houses were gutted in rioting in the area in the past two days.
-(NAV, Inputs: Agencies)