Prime News, National (New Delhi), December 16:- The Interpol on Saturday cancelled red corner notice against Zakir Naik saying that the evidence submitted by India against the controversial Islamic preacher was ‘insufficient’ as it could not prove his role in terror-related activities.
The Interpol contended that there was a severe lack of evidentiary basis, a failure by Indian authorities to follow due process of law, political and religious bias that formed the basis of such a notice, and lack of international interest.
In addition, the Interpol Commission also instructed all its worldwide officers to take down all the data from the files of Dr. Zakir Naik.
The Interpol was listening to the request made by The National Central Bureau of Interpol of India made in May 2017 pertaining to Naik.
The Indian NCB of Interpol had requested for Red Corner Notice against Naik for ‘promoting enmity between two different religious groups on grounds of religion and doing acts prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony, being a member of unlawful Association etc’.
The Indian government, through the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) had banned Naik and his organisation, the Islamic Research Foundation (IRF) in November last year.
Earlier in October, the NIA had filed a chargesheet against the controversial speaker for promoting enmity and hatred between religious groups in India through his speeches and lectures.
Naik was charged with conspiring with Islamic Research Foundation’s (IRF) Trust and the Harmony Media Private Limited to commit the offences. He has been chargesheeted under section 10 UA (P) Act and Sections 120B, 153A, 295A, 298 and 505(2) IPC.
The investigating agency said that their probe has revealed that there are 19 immovable properties, including land and building, worth Rs 104 crore connected with the Zakir Naik. The source, as well as the mode of acquisition of these properties, is being investigated.
The NIA said that Zakir Naik deliberately insulted other religions or religious beliefs under the aegis of IRF with help of HMPL to cause dissatisfaction.
The 51-year-old televangelist, who is currently abroad, is being probed under terror and money-laundering charges by the NIA. He fled from India on July 1, 2016, after terrorists in neighbouring Bangladesh claimed that they were inspired by his speeches. (MR, Inputs: Agencies).