Prime News, Karnataka, Education, Children, Health, Disease, Lockdown, Bengaluru, June 4:- The Karnataka government on Friday (June 4) decided that Second-year Pre-University (PU) examinations for the current academic year will be cancelled and the students will be assessed on the basis of their first year PU marks. However, the state government has decided to hold the Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC) examination and the exam will likely be held in the third week of July. No one will be marked as failed, Minister for Primary and Secondary Education S Suresh Kumar said.
The minister also announced a change in the format of the SSLC examination – students will only have two examinations. The first examination will be on core subjects – Science, Mathematics and Social Sciences will be clubbed in one paper and the second examination will be on languages. These papers will be multiple-choice questions of 120 marks each. The minister said that model question papers will be made available to students before their examinations.
The fresh dates of the SSLC exams and the timetable will be announced 20 days before the examination will be held. The students who are not able to appear for exams due to COVID-19 will be examined at a later date. Minister Suresh Kumar announced that at the examination centres, students will be provided with N95 masks and the government will ensure SOPs are followed.
Speaking to the media during a virtual interaction, Kumar said that PU-II students, who will be graded on the basis of their first-year results, who have grievances over their grades, can approach the government and the state will allow them to appear for an examination at a later date.
The Karnataka government’s decision comes days after the Union government announced that Class 12 board examinations will be cancelled, and many state governments followed suit, cancelling board exams in their states as well. However, the Karnataka government had then said that Class 12 board examinations will be held in the state. On May 14, the government announced that the exams will likely be held in July or August. Kumar had said that it was important to conduct the board examination for Class 12 taking into consideration the future of the students.
The CBSE and the CISCE boards had last week cancelled Class 12 board exams over the COVID-19 pandemic after a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi who asserted that the decision has been taken in the interest of students and that the anxiety among students, parents and teachers must be put to an end. The call was taken at a high-level meeting chaired by Modi in which it was decided that the CBSE will take steps to compile the results of class 12 students as per well-defined objective criteria in a time-bound manner. Several states across India had after this cancelled Class 12 board examinations. (MR, Inputs: Agencies)