HeadlinesInternationalNational

Kerala floods: MEA says ‘no’ to foreign aid

Prime News, National, International, New Delhi, August 22:- There would be no change in existing policy in regard to foreign aid, clarified Raveesh Kumar, official spokesperson of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Wednesday.

MEA spokesperson was reacting on queries regarding media reports on international assistance for flood relief measures.

Putting an end to all the speculations surrounding foreign aid for Kerala flood relief, MEA spokesperson said, “In line with the existing policy, the Government is committed to meeting the requirements for relief and rehabilitation through domestic efforts. Contributions to the Prime Minister’s Relief Fund and the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund from NRIs, PIOs and international entities such as foundations would, however, be welcome.”

The MEA spokesperson also expressed gratitude towards countries offering financial assistance and said, “The Government of India deeply appreciates offers from several countries, including from foreign governments, to assist in relief and rehabilitation efforts after the tragic floods.”

Earlier on Wednesday evening, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has advised in favour of accepting foreign aid.

While addressing a press briefing he referred to 2016 National Disaster Management Policy claiming that as per this policy “if the government of another country voluntarily offers assistance as a goodwill gesture in solidarity with the disaster victims, the central government may accept the offer.”

The southern Indian state of Kerala recently witnessed unprecedented rains causing heavy flooding and landslides. The flash floods also claimed more than 350 lives. (Inputs: Agencies, NGB)

Leave a Reply

comments

Tags

Related Articles

error: