Prime News, International, Defence, Seoul (South Korea), September 15:- North Korea fired two ballistic missiles into the sea on Wednesday (September 15), according to South Korea’s military, as China’s foreign minister visited Seoul and days after Pyongyang said that it had successfully tested new long-range cruise missiles.
Beijing is the North’s key diplomatic ally and main partner for trade and aid, although Pyongyang is under a self-imposed blockade after closing its borders early last year to protect itself against the COVID-19 pandemic.
The nuclear-armed North had fired “two unidentified ballistic missiles” from its central inland area into the sea off its east coast, Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said in a statement.
“South Korean and US intelligence agencies are conducting detailed analysis,” they added, without immediately giving details of the missiles’ range.
The South Korean military has raised its level of surveillance, and is maintaining a full readiness posture in close cooperation with the United States, the JCS added.
Japan’s Coast Guard also reported that an object that could be a ballistic missile was fired from North Korea and landed outside its exclusive economic zone.
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga called the launch “outrageous”, and strongly condemned the action as a threat to peace and security of the region.
Both Suga and South Korean President Moon Jae-in would convene sessions of their national security councils to discuss the launches, according to their offices.
Moon’s office said that he was immediately briefed about the ballistic missile tests, North Korea’s first since March this year and a further breach of United Nations sanctions.
The launch came as Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi visited Seoul for talks with his South Korean counterpart. (Inputs: Agencies, NGB)