- 1-1/2 cup bengal gram
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- Oil as required, for deep frying
- To begin making the Palak Vada, soak bengal gram for an hour or two.
- Add soaked bengal gram, chillies, jeera, ginger and salt to a blender and blend it into a very coarse paste, leaving some of the Bengal gram whole as well.
- Turn this into a bowl. Add chopped spinach and mix it well.
- Next, heat oil in a deep fry pan on medium flame. Take approximately one tablespoon of the mixture in your hands. Try and make it as round as possible.
- Flatten it lightly and drop it into the hot oil and fry it till it is golden and crisp. Remove it onto a kitchen towel to absorb the extra oil.
- If you want to freeze them, just fry them 3/4th and when you are ready to eat, just dip them in the hot oil. Fry them fully and serve.
- Serve Palak Vada with Dhaniya Pudina Chutney, Tomato Garlic Chutney or any other chutney of your choice. It makes a great rainy season snack.