Protests in Mysuru against attack on Kannadigas in TN

In retaliation to Kannadigas being manhandled in Tamil Nadu, a vehicle coming from the neighbouring state was stopped at St Mary’s Circle by Kannada activists and set on fire, while the nine passengers travelling in the vehicle were apparently roughed up.

The incident happened on Monday afternoon. The vehicle that was coming from Kollegal to Mysuru was stopped by an angry mob. Police sources said the activists seem to be chasing the Tamil Nadu vehicle from Kollegal.  On hearing the news, DCP Shekhar rushed to the spot with fire engine to extinguish the fire.

Another vehicle from Tamil Nadu was burnt down on Mysuru-Bengaluru highway.

As the Supreme Court ordered Karnataka to release 15,000 cusecs of Cauvery water everyday till September 20 to Tamil Nadu, pro-Kannada activists are agitated by the verdict and are targeting Tamil Nadu vehicles. To avoid law and order situation going out of control, security has been beefed up at KRS.

In the wake of fresh reports of violence in Mysuru and Mandya, KSRTC has stopped plying vehicles between Bengaluru and the heritage city.  Speaking to City Today, KSRTC Mysuru officer, Mahesh said that the corporation has stopped plying vehicle between Mysuru and Bengaluru. Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy has ordered suspension of  bus movement between the two cities to avoid untoward incidents.

In another incident, two Lorries from Tamil Nadu were damaged when by pro-Kannada activists threw stones at them near APMC, Mysuru. Shops owned by Tamilians near Teressian College were also attacked by the activists and the shopkeepers were beaten up.

Msuru Kannada Vedike has warned against any attack on Kannadigas residing in Tamil Nadu. “Such acts by Tamilians against Kannadigas can’t be tolerated. The Cauvery dispute is turning out to be a regional clash. If there is any attack on Kannadigas in Tamil Nadu, Tamil Nadu will be held directly responsible for the casualties.”

Senthil Kumar textile in Agrahara, owned by Tamil community was forced shut shop by the activists. Mysuru police have tightened security in the city as there is a possible protest against the fresh Supreme Court verdict.

Though the Supreme Court gave partial relief to Karnataka, modifying its September 5 order, the state is not happy. The apex court has now directed the state to release 12,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu as opposed to 15,000 cusecs that it earlier ordered. The modified order comes after the Karnataka government on Saturday evening sought an urgent hearing over the Cauvery dispute.

The apex court, however, rejected Karnataka’s plea that the earlier order, asking it to release 15,000 cusecs Cauvery water per day, be kept in abeyance.

Leave a Reply



Related Articles