- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- To begin making the Southern Buttermilk Biscuits, Preheat oven to 450F.
- Prepare a baking pan. Line it with aluminium foil and grease it.
- Combine and sieve together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the cubed butter and mix it till the flour blends well with the butter. Add cold buttermilk intermittently and knead it into a smooth dough. Make sure that the dough is not dry.
- Using your hands, gently pat the dough out until it is 1/2 inch thickness.
- Do not use a rolling pin to roll out the dough as it over stimulates the gluten and harden the biscuits.
- Fold the dough about 4 times and gently press the dough down to a 1 inch thick.
- Use a round cutter to cut into rounds. You can combine the scraps and gently knead them together to make a small biscuit.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared pan. Brush the top with cream and bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter. Serve Southern Buttermilk Biscuits with a cup of hot Masala Chai and Masala Oats & Potato Sandwich for a delicious breakfast. You can also serve as a tea time snack.