Special bomb detection, disposal squad arrives

The court complex resembled a fortress on Tuesday with stepped up security following an Improvised Explosive Device blast at a public toilet on Monday evening.

People who entered the court complex were frisked and their bags were checked. Metal detectors were installed at Gate 1 and the Gate 2 near the toilet where the blast took place was closed. Vehicles were also thoroughly checked and allowed inside

A special Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) arrived in the city on Tuesday morning from Bengaluru and the team cordoned off the entire area. The 10-member team were specially summoned and it is their routine to handle such cases.

Police and security men check the public and advocates at the main gate of the law court complex on Tuesday following the bomb blast on Monday evening

Fully equipped with special explosive detection implements and the related technology, the team searched for vital clues in and around the blast site. The BDDS team is headed by Assistant Commissioner of Police Praveen and is collaborating with Krishnaraja ACP C Mallik who is heading the investigation. Deputy Commissioner of Police (law and order) Dr H T Shekhar is overseeing the entire operation.

The BDDS team will collect even smallest possible evidence to determine if it was a terror attack or an incident just to spread scare. As of now the terror angle has not surfaced as there is no usage of RDX common in such attacks. The team even scanned the cases that came before the court last week and also screened the cases that are scheduled to come next week.

As a precautionary measure, the Gate Number 2 that is usually used by the public to enter the complex was closed on Tuesday and the main gate functioned as the entry and exit points.  

Director General of Police (internal security) Neelamani Raju visited the court complex at noon on Tuesday and held discussion with the BDDS team. He oversaw the probe and collection of evidence.  


Hundreds of advocates protested before the court complex demanding the immediate arrest of the people behind the bomb blast. They boycotted the court proceedings and demanded better security. The decision of boycotting the proceedings was taken by Mysore Bar Association under the leadership of Chandramouli.

The lawyers said that despite many appeals to tighten the security and the installation of CCTV cameras inside and outside the court complex, the government has not taken any interest.


A loud explosion was heard from a public toilet near the premises of a court in the city at around 4:10 pm on Monday, sending the local police into a tizzy. The explosion took place inside the toilet near Gate 2 of the court complex.  

Panic-struck judges, advocates and litigants ran out of the court halls and court proceedings were suspended for the day and the police cordoned off the area. Sources said that a pack of gelatine sticks were kept in a pressure cooker like container inside the toilet to trigger the blast.

A newspaper agent and resident of Agrahara Venkatesh and a schoolgirl Sonal were hit by shrapnel outside the court compound. 

The incident happened on a day when there was heavy police presence in the city owing to the last rites of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah’s son Rakesh Siddaramaiah being conducted. City Police Commissioner B Dayananda has confirmed that it was an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blast. Some wires and battery were recovered from the spot

When the advocates rushed to the source of the explosion, they found out that the doors and glass windows of the toilet complex were smashed. The roof of the toilet complex was also damaged in the blast. 

Advocates said that the explosion was loud enough to create panic in the court complex. Some of them saw two youths running away from the toilet complex and the information was passed on to the police. There were also traces of blood and electronic equipment.

Home Minister G Parameshwar, who visited the spot along with DGP Om Prakash, said that a forensic report and investigation would reveal the nature of the blast and intention behind it.


Immediately after the blast, the local bomb detection squad and forensic experts rushed to the spot and recovered copper pieces, iron pellets, nails and shrapnel. The dog squad team traced the smell from the toilet complex to the main gate and stopped at the Zilla Panchayat office.

At the corner of Sub-urban bus stand another 3-litre pressure cooker was found on Monday night at around 8:30 along with copper wires and nails. The area was surrounded and the materials were taken away by forensic experts

Leave a Reply



Related Articles