Prime News, National (New Delhi), July 25:- Embattled liquor baron Vijay Mallya, the main accused in a Rs. 9,000 crore alleged bank fraud case, is understood to have sounded out to Indian authorities that he was willing to come back home to face the law, official sources said on Tuesday.
Mallya, who is contesting in a London court the Indian government’s action for extradition, is said to have sent feelers to authorities that he would like to join the legal process in India and contest the recent action against him under the Fugitive Economic Offender Ordinance.
Under this recently promulgated ordinance, the government can immediately confiscate all linked properties of Mallya in the country and abroad.
However, top sources in investigative agencies said the final contours of the move are still not clear as they refused to divulge more details.
A special Prevention of Money Laundering Act court in Mumbai had last month issued summons to the beleaguered businessman to appear before it on August 27 on the Enforcement Directorate’s plea seeking action against him under the Fugitive Economic Offenders Ordinance in the over Rs. 9,000 crore bank fraud case.
The central probe agency, as part of this action, has also sought immediate confiscation of assets worth around Rs. 12,500 crore of Mallya. (MR, Inputs: Agencies).