While the controversy over setting up of actor Vishnuvardhan’s memorial in Bengaluru remains to be settled, Dr Vishnu Sena Samithi have decided to go on an indefinite strike from June 5, demanding the setting up of the memorial for the legendary Kannada actor.
Addressing media persons on Saturday, Dr Vishnu Sena Samiti state president Veerakaputra Srinivas said that Dr Vishnuvardhan has contributed immensely to the Kannada film industry. “A memorial in Bengaluru is still a distant dream even today because of the lack of will by the government. Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has not shown any interest to bring the controversy with Balakrishna family to an end. Balakrishna’s family had earlier agreed to give two acres of land for the memorial at Abhiman studio. For over five years we have been waiting patiently but to no avail. Hence, we will launch an indefinite strike on June 5 at Mourya circle in Bengaluru urging the government to speed up work on the Vishnuvardhan’s memorial. Further he alleged that the government took a lot of time to appoint a public prosecutor in the case against Balakrishna’s family. In order to make the government act, an indefinite strike will be launched by actors, fans and representatives to which Bharathi Vishnuvardhan has no issues.”
M D Parthasarathi said that “Sahasa Simha,” as the actor was popularly known among his fans, was a pride of Mysuru and Mysureans. “Besides, being an actor he was generous in helping the deprived classes. Even though his contributions are remarkable, no authorities have come forward to do something in his memory in Mysuru.”
President Dr Vishnu Sena Samithi N Swaminathan, city president S K Manjunath, general secretary M Shivakumar and Suresh were present.