- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dried yeast
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- Salt to taste
- To begin making the Whole Wheat Naan Recipe, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add the yogurt and a little lukewarm water at a time and knead to make smooth dough. Knead well for at least 4 to 5 minutes so the dough gets a good texture once it gets cooked.
- Cover the dough and allow it rest in a warm place for at least 2 hours until it doubles in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch the dough down and knead for a couple of more minutes. Make 6 to 8 portions of this dough and allow this to rest for another 10 minutes. The portions of dough will rise again a bit.
- Dust flour on the working surface and roll them into ovals or circles and take care not to roll them too thin.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat, place the rolled whole wheat naan over the heated skillet and cook on both sides. You will notice brown spots come on the top and the naans will puff up with specific pockets.
- If you have a gas flame, you can optionally cook it directly over the flame once it is partially done on the skillet.
- Once done, remove from skillet, smear some butter and serve warm.
- Serve the healthy and delicious Whole Wheat Naan along with your Paneer Butter Masala or Kadai Paneeralong with a salad and raita for a weeknight dinner or for parties.